Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Take time to teach!

I missed a blogging day!?!? how could that be? oh thats right, my friday was jam PACKED. I've been spending a lot of time with a friend's 8 year old grandson and last night, he asked if he could work out with me. At first, I was frustrated because I knew he was going to slow me down but as I saw him pick up his weights to do wood chops with me, I realized that the workout for him was FAR more important than it was for me. It was the perfect opportunity for me to teach him about proper way to handle weights, the importance of warming up and cooling down, and why being strong and moving your body keeps you healthy for life. He was so ready and so eager to learn and maybe, just maybe taking that opportunity to let him soak in some education will impact his life. If you have young children in your life, give them opportunities to become interested in the healthy lifestyle you have. Let them make a healthy snack or meal with you, show them some challenging exercise and let them practice and take them on walks with you and share with them why its important to be healthy and fit! Thats why I LOVE the fast that past contestants of the biggest loser have gone on to speak in schools to children and have set up programs for youth fitness camps. The more they want to know, the more they will ask and the more opportunities you will have to share with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY! I couldn't agree more! Teaching children the importance of health and fitness is on my list of blogs to do! = ) I use EVERY opportunity I can to teach my little Bug!! It is TOO important! = ) I love that we share so much in common, Lex!

Ruru said...

I agree. I find it sad that today's youth spend more time in front of the computer or tv than they do outside playing or playing sports. I was never very athletic (I was the kid who always ended up in the nurses office during gym class), but even I participated in games outside with neighborhood kids or gymnastics at the Y. Physical activity is important, whether it be playing a game of tag or a hardcore workout. Ok, that was my rant of the day... and good job Lexie on teaching him the correct ways to exercise, thats more than gym class ever did for us. :)

Mesha said...

this was a great post. there is a lady at my church actually who is a softball couch for a local college here and she's really into healthy living and active lives. Well she was telling me a story about how her 3 year old son, Caleb, will go to the story with her and pick up something off the shelf that he wants and say, "Mommy, is this good for my body?" :) i just thought it was so adorable because he's so health conscious. He's also the #1 encourager I've ever met. He has always been taught not to say "fat," and one night my friend Stacy made a comment at the dinner table about being "fat," and he gasped with disbelief and shock as if she had said a "potty-mouth word" then he said, "STACY, we do not say fat. You are not fat Stacy!" he's the cutest little kid.

Post a Comment

Followers