Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

My tree on the hill

Days ago, I was listening to a phone call from Kristin Steede from the Biggest Loser and she was talking about her first day on the campus. She said there was a tree on a hill on the campus that she wanted walk to but she told the other contestants she couldn't make it up the hill and that it would be a LONG time until she could.. A few days later she found herself on top of that hill next to the tree that she said she couldn't reach. She then told us on the call that it was then that she realized, It wasn't those couple of hours in the gym that gave her magical strength to make it up the hill, she realized could of made it to the tree the whole time, she just told herself that she couldn't. I've thought about that tree on the hill EVERY day since she told that story and I've been thinking... how many trees on a hill do I have in my life? For so long, I've been telling myself, I can't that now I don't know how to distinguish from what I can't do and what I've told myself I can't do. There's a hill in my valley, its about 2 miles straight up and its a couple hundred stairs to climb it. I've been telling myself, I'm going to climb that hill when I've lost more weight, when I am stronger, when I'm faster. Its my own tree on a hill and tomorrow I'm going to reach it. Is it going to be hard? yep and I'll probably be sore afterwards but can I do it? I sure can! It doesn't matter if your hill is physical , emotional, financial , whatever, stop telling yourself you can't reach it and just do it... your tree is waiting for you.

So of course you know tomorrow's blog will be about my hike and I'll post pictures!!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great blog, Lex. I loved it. You are so creative! I, too, have meditated on my tree on a hill since that day. I don't have an actual hill here in Indiana (home of the flat lands) BUT Hubby and I are going to Arizona this winter, and I want to spot out a mountain side to climb, then do it.

Question- how do you bring a camera on your runs and hikes? Maybe mine is too big!!

Lexy said...

I slip mine into my bag with the water bottle and stuff. I don't keep it in my hand the entire time, I only take pics either afterwards or during a rest period.

Anna said...

Wonderful blog Alexis!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm I need to bring a bag!!!!!

Mesha said...

ay...you want me to jog don't you? don't you! argh!!!

Mesha said...

Ali - i'm laughin at the wheels turning in your head. haha.

Valerie said...

"Climb The Mountain"

I tried to climb the mountain today. As I inched my way up the path, I felt out of breath and had to turn back.
I tried to climb the mountain today. But, It was so hot outside, I thought I had better stay in my nice air-conditioned house and rest up for tomorrow's attempt.
I tried to climb the mountain today. On my journey, darkness started to fall and I was full of fear, so I had to return to a safe place.
I was ready to climb the mountain today. But I had so may other things to do, so instead of climbing the mountain I took care of the much more important tasks; I washed my car, mowed the grass and watched the big game. Today the mountain will have to wait.
I was going to climb the mountain today. But as I stared at the mountain in all it's majestic beauty, I knew I had no chance of making it to the top, so I figured why even begin trying.
I had forgotten about climbing the mountain today, until an old friend came by and asked what I was up to lately. I told him about all my plans to climb that mountain someday. I went on and on about how I was going to accomplish the task.
He stopped me and said, "I just got back from climbing that mountain. for the longest time I told myself I was going to try to climb it but never made any progress."
"I almost let the dream of making it to the top die. I came up with every excuse of why I could not make it up the mountain, but never once did I give myself a reason why I could. One day as I stared at the mountain and pondered, I realized that if I didn't make an attempt at this dream all my dreams would eventually die."
" The next morning, I started my climb. It was not easy, and at times I wanted to quit. But no matter what I faced, I placed one foot in front of the other, keeping a steady pace. When the wind tried to blow me over the edge, I kept walking. When the voices inside my head screamed, stop! I focused on my goal, never letting it out of sight. I kept moving forward. I could not quit because I knew I had come too far to stop now. Time and time again, I reassured myself that I was going to finish this journey. I struggled mightily to make it to the top, but I CLIMBED THE MOUNTAIN."
"I have to be going," my friend said. "Tomorrow is a new day to accomplish more dreams. By the way what are you going to do tomorrow?"
I looked at him, with intensity and confidence in my eyes, and said, "I HAVE A MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB."Author unknown

Post a Comment

Followers