Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

My First Blog!

Ok so after some encouragement from others, I decided to start my own blog about my weight loss journey and its only fitting to start off by telling my story. I've been overweight all my life. I've always been surrounded by lots of friends growing up, mostly because of my quick wit... or smart mouth.... but that didn't mean I came out of childhood unscathed by my weight. I took 20 pills a day, ani-inflammatory, arthritis medication, pre diabetes pills, blood pressure medication and medication for Lupus all at the ripe age of 21. I didn't think my weight was an issue, not even in college. It had gone up and down, from year to year 10 lbs up, 15 down, 20 up and so on until I moved to Hawaii after graduation in Aug. 07. I had lost 25lbs in a matter of months without really trying. In feb. I went on a 6 month long campaign tour for the Presidential campaign that was stressful to say the least. I slept little and ate alot and smoked like a hay stack! I gained back the 25lbs I had lost real quickly and it was about to get worse. At the end of the campaign, I was in a really bad car accident. For once in my life my size worked to my advantage because I was too fat to be thrown through the window! I suffered a bang on the head, two broken ribs, a broken foot, glass all over my body and 18 staples and 13 stitches in my left arm. I was luck to be alive but in pretty bad shape. I spent months in bed at home in PA, at first because I really did need to recover and then because I had become so depressed, I didn't want to get out of bed. In a matter of 4 months I packed on 35lbs. None of my already big clothing fit me, I spent my days in sweat pants and pajama shirts. Now I'm always been a fan of the Biggest Loser and most importantly, of Bob Harper and like many other years, I gathered every BL night with my chips and soda and mounds full of dinner on my plate to watch other people work out. I had always wished I could do what they did but I had never seen any woman close to my size on the show. Then came Kristin Steede (check out her blog, its my favorite! www.kristinsteede.com). A remarkable and inspiring woman who made me think, if she can do it, maybe I can too! I went to a boarders and bought Bob Harper's book 'Are you ready" Sat in a park and started reading. I did everything he had asked, I knew I was ready to change my life. I changed everything I ate. Only fresh fruits veggies, grains and proteins . And counted calories like it was a religion. I food journaled on mytrainerbob.com and started walking 3 times a week. Weight started coming off, each day another lb, then a few more. As I become comfortable in my new lifestyle, I started walking more and more, doing every daily challenge from Bob's website and weight started to fly off. I knew I wanted to move back to Hawaii so I packed up and moved back a month ago and have really kicked up my workouts. the work has paid off because I've lost over 100 lbs in 6 months! I work out as a way to reward myself, eat to fuel myself and love every healthy choice I make. I'm doing so well in my weight loss, I wanted to start blogging to share my new found healthy life with other people. I love to cook so I'll be posting some of my best recipes and encourage everyone to share their story, ideas and questions. Ok the next blog will be alot shorter, I promise!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Alexis, that was awesome. I am very excited to learn new recipes from you and to join you in this weight loss journey. I have lsot 60 lbs in 5 1/2 months and am ready to step up my game! = ) Thanks for motivating me, look forward to your new blog!!!

Unknown said...

Lexi, if you still smoke I'll march myself over to that island, and smack you up side the head. That is not a reason to keep up that nasty habit. I will be watching and keeping you accountable girl, and why did you not tell me you were in PA laid up in an acciedent, I would of come over. Keep it up. love

Lexy said...

Hey Liz, I am def. smoke free! I don't smoke, don't drink, don't eat any processed foods, no preservitives or artificial colors, no salt, no sugar and no white flour or rice

Jackson said...

Hello! good for you! I am trying your road! I have lost 66 pounds so far in 7 months! I need to lose another 34 pounds to be happy and healthy!
:D

Anonymous said...

I just love this. seriously. love it. way to go girl. you now have a following and all of us can't wait to see how you continue to push through this journey. good luck and enjoy everything that life has to offer!!!!

Kristin Steede said...

You are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I think we can all pull inspiration from each other! Keep up the amazing work!

Mesha said...

rock on Alexis! Glad you got a blog. Blogging has seriously been what has kept me focused on some days. I look forward to hearing more, keep up the good work, and keep motivating others.

Michael said...

Glad I found your blog. It's funny how much you can relate to someone that you have never met. I'm also a big fan (literally and figuratively) of Kristin's as well - but would like to change that - shrink the body a bit, you know.

I'm just getting started on this road and while I like to think I know what needs to be done, I really think I have a lot to learn. I have a lot of learning to do . . . from what to eat, workout issues and general motivation.

I enjoyed Bob's book, "Are you ready". I found it very motivating and inspirational. I looking to loose 50 pounds in the balance of 2009 and think I can safely do that. Although I need to loose some 100 pounds to get to my true goal weight.

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm looking forward to any suggestions or insights you can share. Best of luck in your ongoing successful journey.

letterstoelijah said...

Wow! What an inspiration you are!! (I'm now a follower of your blog!) Btw, your profile picture is BEAUTIFUL! Wow! I started on a similar journey on April 28th 2009. I've lost 30 lbs so far - and the journey will continue.

All the best to you! I look forward to reading your blog.

Dana
(in Green Bay, WI - home of beer, cheese curds and brats - the 3 worst things to have!)

Valerie said...

I am so proud of you, Alexis! I am there with you, girl! When I am in the gym sweating today, I'll think of you and how there are others out there who understand the journey and the process and how hard it is. You're a beautiful, strong woman! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

This is a really great blog. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. Just like you, I am very inspired by Kristin Steede. I started my own weight loss journey in January and have lost 34 pounds since then. I have good days and bad ones too, but I will never give up! Good luck to you! I will be following your progress on your blog :)


Joellen

Anonymous said...

Ms Bean,
I have always been proud of you. I'm very thankful that you have started a new life and are becoming healthy. Sorry to say, I still think I will kick your butt with my weight loss when we weigh in in November.

Love Mom

Post a Comment

Followers