Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Food for Thought

The only thing I love more than creating recipes is creating HEALTHY recipes! I'm not a big fan of meat, just because I don't like the taste but I've always been too afraid to make the switch to being a vegetarian and even more so since I started losing weight but that's all changed since I've grown more comfortable with different ingredients so my recipes will be vegetarian, low calorie and VERY tasty. My favorite saying I have is "I count calories like its a religion!" And its true, I find it the best way to stay on track and keep myself accountable so you will notice that after each ingredient, I have included the individual calorie count in ( ) so its easy for you to add it to your food journal and the total calorie count at the end of the recipe. Also, I cook for myself so all of my recipes will be one serving unless I specify. Have fun trying them out and don't be afraid to add your own flare. I'd love to hear feedback and new ideas and if you have a favorite food that you want a low calorie alternative, let me know so I can see what I can come up with

Thai Noodles This is a low calorie play on Thai Peanut noodles. It is both creamy from the peanut butter ( which is also high in protein) , spicy from the cayenne and the cilantro gives it a refreshing pop. You can omit the cayenne if you don't want heat or load it up it you like a real zip to your food.
2oz whole grain linguini or spaghetti (201)
1c frozen stir fry veggies (35)
1Tbs Vegetarian stir fry sauce (25)
1Tbs peanut butter (100)
1/4 c sodium free chicken broth (3)
1 tsp cilantro (.5)
a dash of cayenne pepper
Follow directions on the box to cook your pasta.Mix peanut butter, stir fry sauce, and chicken broth until smooth. Add cayenne for heat ( you can omit). Spray a skillet with PAM and heat it on medium high. Saute the frozen veggies until cooked but not mushy. Add drained lingini and saute for a few seconds, remove pan from heat and add peanut sauce, return to low heat until warmed through. Serve with Cilantro on top. Total calories 373.5

Sweet and Sour Black Eyed Peas I live in Hawaii so I'm surrounded by a lot of Asian influence and as a former lover of sweet and sour chicken, I wanted a vegetarian answer that gave me the same flavors without the meat and calories! I use spiced vinegar in this recipe because I like alittle heat and the added flavor, its just vinegar with chillies and garlic marinated in it and can be found usually in the Asian isle but you can use white vinegar. This one will please even the pickiest of eaters!
1/2c cooked black eyed peas (126) *note, I use dried beans and cook them ahead of time. If you use canned, look for low sodium and drain and rinse your beans before using them to cook with* 1/4c fresh pineapple (19)
1/4c onion (17)
1/4c peppers (4)
1/2Tbs Spiced vinegar (0)
Heat up a saute pan sprayed with PAM on high. Saute pineapple, onion and peppers for a few min. ( I like my veggies a little crunchy because it adds nice texture but you can make it as crispy or soft as you like) Add black eyed peas to the pan. Add vinegar at very end and serve! Total Calories 166

Home Made Fat Free Greek Yogurt
I've fallen in love with greek yogurt thanks to Bob Harper's master list of foods. Its higher in protein , high in flavor low in calories and can be used for a million and one different ways ( recipes to follow) but its expensive so after some research, I found I can make my own and now you can too! You will need to start your yogurt with store bought that already has the live cultures.

1 small container of fat free greek yogurt ( in the yogurt isle) 1 Quart of Fat Free milk
Cheese cloth ( can be bought in most stores, just ask!)
a bowl
colander
plastic wrap

Pour the milk into a pot and heat it until it gets ready to boil {you will see steam} remove from heat! In a small bowl mix two table spoons of greek yogurt with two tablespoons of the hot milk, mix and then stir into pot of milk. Pour milk mix into a clean bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Now here is where you have some options. If you live in a hot area and it is warm in your home, then wrap the bowl in towels to keep it warm, if you use air conditioning, live in a cool location or it gets cool overnight, then turn your oven onto the warm setting. either way, you just want to keep your milk warm so that the cultures can grown and turn your milk into yogurt! Let it sit overnight. In the morning, place the cheese cloth in a colander and then pour your yogurt into the cloth. Don't worry it will be runny, let the yogurt sit in the colander for 2 hours to let the whey run out . This will make your yogurt thick! If you like it real thick, let it sit longer. After you drained it, place it in a clean container with a paper towel on top to soak up any whey left over and keep it refrigerated. It seems like alot of steps but it's really not, the total amount of work you put into it is about 10 min. just don't forget to save 2 Tbs of your homemade yogurt for your next batch. Calories 60 per 1/2 cup

7 comments:

Kaci said...

Sounds delish!!! Thanks for the recipes!

History In The Making said...

How many calories do you allow yourself in a day?

I wish I knew how to make something other than cereal without ruining it so I could try some of these. hahaha

Michelle said...

I didn't know you lived in Hawaii! I suspected (because of the plumeria in your hair) but this is pretty cool :) I was born and raised in Pearl City - my entire family still lives there, but I'm in WI now. I'm hoping to go back for Thanksgiving - maybe we could meet up and hike Diamond Head together! :) Keep up the great work Lexi, you're doing so well!

Anonymous said...

I AM EXCITED TO TRY THE HOME MADE FAT FREE YOGURT! Yum!! YOU ARE AWESOME GIRL!

Lexy said...

Michelle, I'd love to hike up Diamond head with you! keep me posted. and as how many calories I eat in a day, 1200 never go below 1200 EVER because your body will start storing fat instead of burning it.

Ruru said...

If I liked veggies, I'd try your food. ;) But you know how I am. hehe. I'm too much of a wimp. But I'm definitely glad you found something that you love and you're sticking with it! (Mickey & Stitch would be proud of you hehe)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm Cheryl and from MN... I found your blog through Kristin's from the Biggest Loser. WAY TO GO!!! You don't know me, but I'm SUPER proud of you! Feel free to check out my blog.. www.momenttochoose.blogspot.com
KEEP ON GOING!!!! YAY!

Post a Comment

Followers