Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Starvation Diet for Toxic Friends

I asked the question "Why do we keep toxic people in our lives?" its a question thats been on my mind for awhile now and I think I've come up with a pretty good answer so this is my response... i think we keep them around because we find a false sense of self worth through them. they are usually the people who "need" a therapist, a dumping ground, a friend of convenience. They can spot us a mile away, As people who often care about others more than we care about ourselves, they know we will place their needs above ours and they drain us mentally, physically and emotionally. When you've got nothing left to give them, they move on. They are the friend who comes into your life as quickly as they move out, the friend that leaves you feeling like you can never give them enough, the friend who leaves you guessing on where you stand with them on a day to day basis, the friend that demands your full attention at every waking moment and yet lacks the time for you. We've all had them in our lives, some more than others. I am the first to admit that i've had quite a few of these toxic people and the only way in the past that I got rid of them is when they've taken all they can and move on. I've defended them up to the very last second despite the damage they have caused and in the end, promised myself I'd never fall for it again only to find myself making the same mistakes. I never knew what it would take to rid myself of these people until now and the answer has nothing to do with them and everything to do with ourselves. The process to finding self worth is not easy and it does not happen over night. I've been building my foundation for awhile now and only recently has the 'cement' settled and hardened to let me start building up. I've realized that i felt a false sense of worth in spinning my tires with these people but it is a waist of time when my energy could be spent on my own happiness. Their need to "feed" on my insecurities is their own problem and I am no longer willing to keep feeding them. I'm putting the toxic people in my life on a starvation diet so they have no choice but to move on. My self worth is no longer measured in how much of myself I can give others but rather how much of myself I can give me. Find your self worth within you and put those toxic friends on a starvation diet. Forgive yourself for allowing you to be used and move on. Its ok to have pity on those who will starve, just don't feed them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIytHD5v9c

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers