Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

My garden deserves flowers too



This Blog is in response to a blog posted by Kristin Steede http://www.kristinsteede.com/blog/2009/10/04/oppsi-did-it-again/#comments

Why do we always find the time to tend to everyone Else's garden and let everything in our own wither away? I am a CONSTANT tender of everyone Else's garden. I try and solve every one's problems, check in on my friends daily if not even hourly, and go out of my way to make sure everyone is happy but I can't say I've ever done the same for myself. Yes, I think a lot of it has to do with avoidance. If I'm distracted by everyone Else's needs and trying to fulfill them, then I don't have to be concerned with the problems in my own life. I struggle with seeing myself as worthy of my own time. I'd bend over backwards and move mountains for anyone in my life and I've taken it on as a full time job to be friend/therapist/business entrepreneur/ weight loss coach/ personal motivator/ problem solver to everyone. There are a lot of things 8 months ago I could never have said I felt worthy of that now I can but I'd be lying if I said i could make that a blanket statement in my life. I'm 23 years old and 5 days ago for the first time in my life,I said out loud that my happiness was now a priority in my life. What a huge eye opener it was at how low I had valued myself when just simply saying" I am choosing to put myself first" was both painful and uncomfortable. Its not easy and by no means is it any more comfortable but I do know this, I am worth a lot more in life and worth spending a lot more time tending to my own garden. I'm tired of watching everyone else's flowers in life bloom and being disappointed that mine are not... you want a flower to grow, you need to water it and take care of it. I want to grow as a person, I need too spend time tending to me and my needs. My garden deserves flowers too and now its up to me to grow them. I look forward to MANY beautiful flowers in my future!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this comparison. I love reading how you can use analogies like the garden!! You rock my world, Lex! Thanks for the reminder that I am worthy, we all are, and that I need to tend to my own garden before other's! XOXO

Anna said...

LOVE this lex! I also love the comparison. It is absolutely true!

Tara said...

I am really glad to see you and Kristin blogging again. I am a regular reader of both and both of you have been an amazing source of inspiration for me. Would you ever do a joint blog or reserve some pace afterwards for each of you to comment on each other's blog? You two are so insightful and complement each other well... I hope you take that into serious consideration!!! There are alot more of me out there that could benefit from people like the pair of you.

May you have a blessed day,

Tara

Mesha said...

:) Well, as you saw earlier today - I'm more than guilty of tending to other's gardens...and in some areas it's become EXTREME!!! i have to stop or else they will take every last seed I have left and not value it as precious. love ya sis!

Post a Comment

Followers