Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Bigger Than a Mountain


There is something bigger than a mountain in weight loss, its bigger than that hill my tree is on and more difficult than any hike I've done before... its the PLATEAU! If you've been on your own weight loss journey, then you probably have had a few of your own. For anyone who doesn't know, a plateau is a period where you stop losing weight. For the first 5 months of me losing weight, it came off quickly and I never really had any bumps in the road. A month ago, I noticed that my weight loss was slowing down a bit but then it got jump-started when I went meat free... that was until the past 2 weeks. Last week I just barely got a loss in after working so hard. It hardly made sense so when I noticed this week the scale wasn't budging at all, I knew I was hitting a plateau. I didn't know what to do, I poured over my food and workout journal, evaluated my workout routines and thought about my sleeping habits - all things that can contribute to a plateau and it just didn't make any sense. In a day, I went from being so focused and so driven to allowing self doubt make me question and second guess myself. I turned to my support group ( we call ourselves the sisterhood) right away looking for some answers. My sisters tag teamed me with messages and emails and phone calls and each one of them, without knowing it, had the same message for me GET FOCUSED! Climbing a mountain takes skill, you need tools to help you, a support system to get over the unstable parts and a focused drive to make it to the top and turn right around and go back down... a weight loss plateau is the same EXACT thing. The best thing about plateaus is that there is a walking path, worn down from all those who's weight loss journey that came before yours, already there for you to follow. Look in your support systems for those who helped ware down that path... I'm so fortunate to have some amazing footsteps to follow over my plateau! Learn some new tools that can help you BEFORE you run into that plateau, use the tools you already have, reach out for your support system to make it and NEVER EVER lose your focus or your drive!

4 comments:

Dana said...

Wonderful attitude you have! Sometimes I think attitude can make all the difference. No matter what happened last week.. or this week coming - I think you are awesome! Seems like we can be so much harder on ourselves then others at times.

Dana

Gayle in VA said...

I know I always say this but I hope you believe it! You're AWESOME!!! Keep on keeping on =D I'm in this with you every step of the way!!!

XOXO
-gayle

Anna said...

Love you Lex...The shock and aww will work!!! You are awesome!

Ruru said...

Aww! Keep going! I believe in you pookie! :) You're doing so awesome and I'm so proud of you!!!

Post a Comment

Followers