Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Half My Plate - a project of control and compassion

My mom is coming to visit me in Hawaii on Tuesday for two whole weeks and I couldn't be more excited. We will be doing a lot of traveling while she's here so that means a lot of eating out. That could mean bad news for someone who counts her calories like its a religion. We all have gone out to eat before and so you know that most of the portions we are served are 2-3 times larger than what we should be eating. As a strategy to keep my portions under control, before a single piece of food touches my fork, I portion out my food and whatever is left over, i don't touch. That is a lot of waisted food, food that could be feeding someone who needs a meal. Hawaii is a beautiful place but beyond the white sandy beaches are a large population of homeless people who probably couldn't remember the last time they ate a meal. When I started thinking about my mom's visit, I started thinking about all the food that I would be waisting when it could go to good use. It has inspired me to start a project. Starting Tuesday, for every meal I eat out, I will portion my plate and put the extras in a to go box before I ever take a bite, and then give my extra portions to the first person in need of a meal I see when I leave and I'm going to document it all with pictures and video and post it on my blog. Not only do I hope it will inspire others to help feed those who are hungry but I also hope that it will encourage you to take a look at your portions next time you eat out. I hope you follow me on my two week journey of sharing half my plate!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers