Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dinner for two

Wow, what an amazing dinner. First of all, I would like to take the time to thank facebook - despite its many annoyences (yes I'm looking at you Farmville Requests) it can be a truly amazing thing and tonight was proof of that. For those of you who don't know, tonight I had dinner with Bonnie Matthews - many of you know her has Bonnie from Dr. Oz and most of you are Facebook friends with her... which is how I became friends with her. Thanks to the little facebook featur that says " 48 of your friends are also friends with X, would you like to be their friends too?" Well if 48 of my friends were friends with this Bonnie person, then she must be really special. I didn't know her and she didn't know me but I quickly discovered that she has an amazing weight loss story of taking control of her life through healthy eating and wellness -she seemed like someone I could relate to so I've been following her on FB and watching her encourage people and her enthusiasm has been a constant source of inspiration. It never occured for me to ask where she lived until she had mentioned something about being in Baltimore and heading into DC and I was like HEY I live in Arlington! Next thing ya know we had dinner plans for tonight so thank you Facebook for bringing two strangers together! Now let me tell you something, spent two seconds on Bonnies FB page, among her many MANY fans and you instantly can read the passion this woman has for health and her enthusiasm in contagous - so much so that a large portion of the online weight loss community is participating in her Why Wait Get Bon Challenge but I wondered how much of that relays into the real world, I mean facebook is one thing, could she really be as energetic and electrifying as she creates herself on facebook? To be honest, I was a bit nervous meeting her for the first time tonight, I was worried that I had looked up to her and respected her and saw her as "the real deal" and I didn't know if she was going to live up to it... well let me tell you ladies and gentalmen, this woman is everything I thought she was and SO MUCH MORE! I spent most of the evning just caputed by energy. IT WAS INSANE. I am a firm believer in that there are some people who "get it" and some who don't and what I mean by that is that there are some people who have changed so that their entire life is focused on living and being healthy and then there are those who are in the diet or losing weight bussiness... people who "get it" keep their weight off and those who don't won't. She gets it and like me, she shares a passion to help others "get it" too. I spend so much time telling my story and trying to explain the hows and why of my choices so it was refreshing to have a conversation with someone who knows, she's done it herself and it was comforting to sit down with someone knowing that we shared that same journey. It was even more encouraging for me, who still has weight to lose, to know that the path I'm taking is leading me to my goals. I laughed so much tonight and sat in awe and had so many great conversations, I feel like I've been reminded of the beauty that comes from being healthy - Health comes not just in smaller jean sizes but in finding and cultivating healthy relationship with other healthy people. Tonight was amazing and I admire and respect Bonnie so much more... I cannot wait for our next dinner!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to happen - I can just feel "it" throughout your post. My favorite sentence:

"Health comes not just in smaller jean sizes but in finding and cultivating healthy relationships with other people."

I agree - this thing we've got going here on facebook is special. And the two of you are pretty darn special :)

Post a Comment

Followers