Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Its Not Online!

I woke up this morning pissed at all the people who sit online all day blogging about weight loss and facebooking and tweeting about it and about healthy living but they're only interaction with the world is through the internet... how is that healthy living?!? How does how many people who follow your blog make you an authority on wellness? How can people in one breath say how life changing weight loss is and yet have no real life interactions?!? I mean how many statuses do you read in a day about people going to work out, while they work out and everything after their work outs. Hell even I've thought to myself " gee I can't wait to get home and post this on facebook" That's sick... it isn't healthy. Its the most masturbatory act that is celebrated as selflessness " for being willing to share our journey" I call bullshit. I say its time to step away from the computer and make real connections in life - outside of the blogs and the chat rooms and the facebook friends. If your wondering where this all is coming from, I got an email from someone who complained that I don't participate in online weight loss forums or comment on other peoples blogs and that I give people unrealistic ideas about working out because a normal person cannot work out as much as I do or cook like I do because I have a lot more free time then most people" Which I find really interesting being that I have a full time job and volunteer and am studying for a certification and am in marathon training and am in treatment for Lupus and go to physical therapy for my hip... but clearly I have more time on my hands. And then it occurred to me that this same person that is giving me a hard time, is on facebook ALL THE DAMN TIME. I could totally comment on everyone's blog and be on top of all the forums if I spend all my free time online but I don't because I live in the REAL world where I interact with REAL people and make REAL meaningful relationships because THAT is what health is about - its about turning off your TV, shutting down the computer and LIVING LIFE. And if it seems like I have an abundance of time on my hands, its because I am organized and prioritize my life according to my needs. The average American watches 3 hours of TV a NIGHT! That's 21 hours a week -almost a full day spent sitting in front of the TV. I don't even own a TV. I choose to spend that time doing other activities so the next time you want to send me an email telling me what I'm doing wrong with my life, I suggest to take a step back and look at your own habits. Are you spending your life living online or in front of the TV? Do you rush to tweet about your latest accomplishment before telling your friends or family in person? Are you defining your success by the number of blog hits you get or the number of comments you make? How many real life connections do you have in your life and are they as meaningful as you want them to be? If not, if you find more meaningful connections with complete strangers online, then perhaps that's a good place to start finding some wellness in your life and when you go searching for your answers, here's a little clue... ITS NOT ONLINE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers