Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

It may not seem that big to you...


Today something great happened, I hit two major milestones for myself... I did a legitimate push up (5 of them to be exact) and I did a full bridge pose. Now that might not seem like anything big to you except its been a year long process to be able to do it! When I started out, doing a wall push up was HARD I could do 5 and then started to get tired - a few months later I graduated to knee push ups and then onto a million and one variations of the knee push ups but it took me a year to build up enough strength to do a full push up. I was good at the pushing up part, it was the lowing back down and coming up again that got me every time so I've been practicing and practicing .

Along side my push ups, I've been working on a bridge. Now push ups the strength comes from your arms. A bridge requires strength in your arms, your legs AND flexibility in your spine. I've worked hard on all of those individual elements and started to try and put them all together now for a few months and I know it looked pretty crazy. Even I got a good laugh from it but I kept trying.

Now is a good time for me to tell you about my friend Tracy. If you think I'm stubborn, this chick doesn't know the word no and " can't" is not on her vocabulary list either. Throughout all of my attempts to do a push up or a bridge, she has been there to tell me to keep trying and keep practicing. And when I would get really close, she would say good, not make it better! So today, like every day, I practiced my skills and what do you know, I knocked out 5 legitimate push ups as if my body had been just waiting to do them. I was SHOCKED and excited.

A years worth of work and I was now pushing my own body weight. So then i stretched and got ready to practice a bridge. I've been so close for a few weeks now and I just knew it was only a matter of time before I could bend that extra half inch and get my head tucked under... and today was the day! Now doing push ups was enough to make me so happy but being able to achieve two major goals in one day... two things that I've worked on over a year... that was magical! It may seem not that big to you but being able to work so hard for something and achieving it changes you in a way that nothing else can.

Of course I couldn't wait to tell Tracy, I mean she's been there encouraging me the whole way. And in typical Tracy fashion, her response was " now do a one handed push up and be able to go into bridge from a mountain pose" haha which was a reminder that YES it is great achieving your small goals but always strive to do better. Push ups and bridges may not seem that big to you but to me, today was a year in the making! Oh and hey, thanks Tracy!

4 comments:

sharlene said...

wow...what a great accomplishment!!! That's soo cool!

David said...

What an inspiration Lexy!! Way to GO!!!!

freeda said...

when you first start on your wieghtloss journey did you fall off track at time or did you find it easy? cause i am having a hardtime staying on track!!!! any advice??

Lexy said...

Hey Freeda, There have been ups and downs throughout the entire process. At first, I had a hard time planning ahead and even the smallest of hickups made me totally freak. I remember the first few weeks I had gone away with my mom and we had to eat out and I nearly had a meltdown when I couldn't find a place that I felt comfortable eating at. There have been times when I lose my focus on what it is that I'm trying to do and there are times when I blow it big time but the important thing is knowing that my past bad choices do not determine what choices I can make now. We are given opportunities to make healthy choices in every second of our lives, they are there for us to make on our own, we just need to grab them. If your having trouble staying the course, remind yourself of why its important that you do, allow yourself some forgiveness for mistakes of the past, and seek out the opportunities to make better choices right now!

Post a Comment

Followers